Thursday, September 6, 2012

Let Creativity Drive The Crayons

For my first blog, I wanted to impart profound wisdom upon my readers. You know, the kind that makes one stand a bit straighter and walk with more confidence for having learned a universal secret of some kind. Instead, all that comes to mind is how time ticks by while we do things like think about what is profound and wise. 

I've been a designer, artist, creative person...whatever name applies at any given time...all my life. As a child, before starting kindergarten, I was creating large banners to welcome home a new sibling. At the time, it wasn't profoundness, but creativity driving my crayons...nor did it turn out to be all that wise in hindsight! But that's another story. 

As a professional creator in the business world, it seems that business has twisted wisdom and called it strategy. For example, the strategy of not letting a customer switch from one company to another for better service. Or the strategy of undermining another's business to make yours look better. Wouldn't be better to substitute strategy for wisdom? For company X, who won't let go of customers until the customer hires a lawyer to break the ties; why not be gracious and make adjustments to customer service instead of trashing company Y's service or product? Let that customer go do what they see is best for them? Isn't it wiser to end the customer relationship amicably? Why must it be a battle to the death to cancel a service? There's a way to do things; even unpleasant things, that help create confidence in a company. 

I'm co-owner in a company called AAF Creative, LLC. (www.aafcreative.com) If one of my clients decides to use another design service, I let them go without trying to bind them into something they don't want. Sure, I'll ask them why, so I can make adjustments to my service. It doesn't feel good to have a client move on; but it happens...to every business. My philosophy is based in wisdom, not strategy. If the client who leaves is unsatisfied with the other choice, they are more likely to return if I've given them confidence that they can save face and continue using me. 

I guess the quantum particle of design wisdom here is; let creativity drive the crayons.

-T.

No comments:

Post a Comment